212-Story Building in Melbourne

In Microsoft Flight Simulator a bizarrely eldritch, impossibly narrow skyscraper pierces the skies of Melbourne’s North like a suburban Australian version of Half-Life 2’s Citadel… Apparently this building can be traced back to a typo in OpenStreetMap.

Coincidentally, my (12-year-old) son and I were discussing crowdsourcing last night:

son: Teachers HATE Wikipedia!
me: Really?
son: Yes. They’s rather you use some old website that hasn’t been updated since 2014 for research.
me: Well I have a bunch of friends who worked at Encyclopedia Britannica. They hated Wikipedia before anyone.
son: I can see that

…and scene.

posted by ba (8 comments total) 5 users marked this as a favorite

Love it. That’s some proper SCP shit right there.
posted by adrianhon at 6:36 AM on August 20 [1 favorite]
Just because it’s 2020, it might be a good idea to make sure that it’s not actually, suddenly there.
posted by theodolite at 6:56 AM on August 20 [9 favorites]
Apparently this building can be traced back to a typo in OpenStreetMap.

The typo, btw, was listing a two-storey was recently building as 212. I was listening to an archived episode of The Museum of Curiosity. One guest mentioned a difficulty with the electronic version of a recipe book, where the listing calling for “10 oz” of raisins was rendered as “1002 raisins.”
posted by ricochet biscuit at 7:00 AM on August 20 [4 favorites]

The reply comments are pretty great

And then we all realise that these towers start appearing in esoteric but significant positions across the world.

What if the skyscraper is really there but our human senses are too limited to see it?
But our algorythms have outpaced our senses and can see the truth that we are not ready to see?

The dark tower lorded over the lands, guiding humanity during its childhood. Some say it fell from the stars and some say it always was.
It’s shadow casts a long veil, reaching into the dreams of those shrouded by it. The dreamers can hear it calling to them.
It is awakening.

Rami Ismail is super excited about the new Flight Simulator, btw. Apparently it’s really achieved something new with its massive use of real world data. Not just OSM (and its typos) but Bing’s enormous aerial imagery archive, realistic terrain, land cover, etc.

It creates a sort of second-level sondering – instead of wondering what people’s lives are like in the houses below, you wonder what the houses look like in real life – and then what the lives of the people that presumably live in there are like. I can stare at it forever.
This is achieved through a remarkable mix of photogrammetry, the cloud, AI generation, literally all of Bing, and ton of clever modeling. It’s garnished with dozens of live partnerships with weather data, flight data, and tons more. The developer in me is impossibly impressed.

posted by Nelson at 7:04 AM on August 20

Has anyone checked the Azores to see if it goes all the way through the planet?
posted by oulipian at 7:04 AM on August 20
Ironically, my comment in a typo story got mangled in some cut and paste, and then a phone call diverted me until after the edit window expired. Ahem:

The typo, btw, was listing a two-storey was as 212. I was recently listening to an archived episode of The Museum of Curiosity. One guest mentioned a difficulty with the electronic version of a recipe book, where the listing calling for “10 oz” of raisins was rendered as “1002 raisins.”

posted by ricochet biscuit at 7:18 AM on August 20

Man, between this and Star Wars: Squadrons (Previously self-link)… maybe it’s time I finally replaced by ~15-year-old joystick.
And got an Oculus \m/
posted by CheesesOfBrazil at 7:29 AM on August 20
guys i think this flight simulator is also socialist
posted by Foci for Analysis at 7:52 AM on August 20

دیدگاهتان را بنویسید

hacklink al hd film izle php shell indir siber güvenlik türkçe anime izle Fethiye Escort android rat duşakabin fiyatları fud crypter hack forum instagram beğeni bayan escort - vip elit escort GorabetRestbetVdcasinoKlasbahishtml nullednulled themesEnobahis GirişBetizm Girişgates of olympus oynaMobil Ödeme BozdurmaMobil Ödeme BozdurmaLevitraMobil Ödeme BozdurmaMobil Ödeme BozdurmaMobil Ödeme Bozdurma Vodafone Mobil Ödeme Bozdurma