A solute and solvent mashup (8 letters)

How To Solve the New York Times Crossword. “A crossword puzzle is not a test of intelligence, and solving is not really about the size of your vocabulary. Becoming a good solver is about understanding what the clues are asking you to do.”
posted by storybored (10 comments total) 5 users marked this as a favorite
Each crossword puzzle writer will receive one thousand years in hell for every crossword clue that ends with a question mark.
posted by selfnoise at 2:13 PM on August 26
Question mark clues are the wind beneath my sails. My own disdain is reserved for when Word In French Language crosses with Sport Fact Only Truefans Would Know, basically demanding you Google one or the other to complete.
posted by JHarris at 2:16 PM on August 26 [1 favorite]
*Pencils in “solution” but waits for confirmation from cross-letters from other clues before inking*
posted by UbuRoivas at 2:26 PM on August 26
I find it invaluable to read Rex Parker every day (after finishing!); you learn a lot about construction & crossword politics that you probably never considered.

Obviously influenced by Rex, I would like a) more diverse constructors b) more contemporary content in the NYTXW, and I’d be perfectly happy if they never used NRA, Dies or Irae, INRI, olio, and ole ever again as answers.
posted by chavenet at 2:35 PM on August 26 [8 favorites]

Earlier.
posted by PhineasGage at 2:40 PM on August 26
I hope Megan Amram will be immortalized in crosswords herself because of the juicy vowel placement. There’s a reason why Charlie Chaplin’s fourth wife (Oona) is always used.
posted by JoeZydeco at 2:41 PM on August 26
The home of the University of Maine — Orono — shows up frequently for the same reason.
posted by riotnrrd at 2:44 PM on August 26
If you’re as addicted to crosswords as I am, you might like Matt Gritzmacher’s Daily Crossword Links newsletter and remarkably comprehensive associated spreadsheet. I still do the Times puzzle every day for some reason, but its stodginess and lack of diversity are really apparent after getting into some of the indies.
posted by theodolite at 3:01 PM on August 26
I know the usual tips and tricks for solving a crossword, but boy howdy if I don’t get stuck on the clues that require me to know a celebrity’s name or other piece of trivia. So for me, at least, it is 100% about the size of my vocabulary.
posted by LSK at 3:03 PM on August 26
By the way, my single least favorite word-that-shows-up-in-a-million-crossword-puzzles-as-glue is “Alb” because I can never, ever remember it.
posted by selfnoise at 3:04 PM on August 26

tinyurlis.gdv.gdv.htclck.ruulvis.net

دیدگاهتان را بنویسید

hacklink al hd film izle php shell indir siber güvenlik türkçe anime izle Fethiye Escort android rat duşakabin fiyatları fud crypter hack forum instagram beğeni bayan escort - vip elit escort GorabetRestbetVdcasinoKlasbahishtml nullednulled themesEnobahis GirişBetizm Girişgates of olympus oynaMobil Ödeme BozdurmaMobil Ödeme BozdurmaLevitraMobil Ödeme BozdurmaMobil Ödeme BozdurmaMobil Ödeme Bozdurma Vodafone Mobil Ödeme Bozdurma